Tuesday 30 December 2008

Present ... and past

Its Xmas time we have 2 birthday parties to attend. I am frantically running around the shops searching for some presents to buy. What do you buy a kid who has the latest electronic gadgets to play around with. Do you get him another game to play on the computer or the latest wii game ? I was confused. Was still worrying about it when I started to think about my childhood. What did I play with when I was a kid ? I didn't have a computer till I started my first job and our old television could never have connected to a video player let alone a playstation or a Wii. My childhood was filled with sunny days spent running around the building with an army of kids. Sunburnt and hot we used be out there climbing trees and scraping our knees. We hired out cycles and rode around the neighbourhood shouting and screaming. We used to look forward to school holidays because they meant long days filled with excitement and fun. The building backyard transformed into a place of adventure with a new story formed in our minds everyday. Even my older sister and her friends used to to join in our games of 'Teacher Teacher' and 'Home Home'. The stairs became hideouts in 'Hide and Seek'. Lagori and Cricket and 'Dog and the Bone' were staple games. We had imagination and thats all we needed. I am sure we had toys but don't remember sitting home playing with them. Parents weren't worried about sending us out and neighbours were just extension of family. I used to spend hours in their house before amma pulled me away kicking and screaming.
Kids just don't have that kind of fun now. Maybe back home they do, but out here when I see my son all alone I feel a twinge of guilt. On a cold winters day we go to the park and its deserted. Where are all the children ? I hardly know my neighbours. A hurried hi before the bye. Are we so busy we have no time for the simple things in life ? What kind of life will my son and kids like him lead ? Will they ever know the pure simple joy of childhood or will their childhoods be consumed by the Wiis and XBoxes ?
Time to wake up and do my shopping. Bought a construction toy for the birthday boy something his dad could help with. Hope they have a nice time.

1 comment:

  1. Leena, followed this blog through your comment on my blog. I am so glad that we re-connected. I can totally identify with you. Kids grow up in such a different environment now. I keep thinking about all the good times we had when we were growing up and feel sad that I cannot expose Sahaana to any of that.

    Saw that you are quite an active blogger. I have yet to check out the Veembur Chefs one.

    Anyways, Happy New Year. Will be sure to follow all your blogs upon my return.

    ReplyDelete